Safety Specialist (Grande Prairie or Dawson Creek)
Trimac's most fundamental value is safety. We operate in a safety-sensitive industry and are relentless in our goal of ensuring everyone returns home safe every day and that we conduct ourselves safely doing no harm to the people and communities in which we operate.
The Safety Specialist's role is vital in communicating our safety expectations and ensuring everyone is operating in compliance with our policies, procedures, and best practices. The Safety Specialist works with the Terminal Leadership (Terminal & National Tank Services (NTS) Manager) in the implementation and execution of safety program requirements and development of appropriate local safety initiatives. This role is responsible for the overall safety management function at the location, including risk assessment, training, incident investigations, and safety awareness for a property.
Location: Grande Prairie, AB or Dawson Creek, BC
Schedule: Monday through Friday, Some weekend and evening work may be required
- Ensures employees'/contractors' compliance with all applicable Federal, State/Provincial, local, and Company safety regulations/policies/procedures; ensures that related records keeping and reporting requirements are met and maintained; provides support in implementing the approved recommendations.
- Conduct coaching and remedial driver training as needed.
- Qualify, train, certify, and mentor local Driver Coaches.
- Oversees, schedules and presents training programs.
- Conduct, review and document facility safety inspections and assist in the correction of deficiencies.
- Ensures that all reporting and risk management tools are up-to-date and always correct.
- Investigates vehicle accidents, injuries and safety incidents. Prepares and submits related reports as required.
- Assist in developing local accident and injury prevention plans/programs.
- Develops local safety awareness programs and initiatives. Ensures safety bulletin boards and safety postings, are up to date with the most current and other pertinent safety information.
- Conduct/support employee/driver safety meetings.
- Participates in driver selection & hiring, including conducting road tests.
- Responsible for supervision of driver training and final clearance of driver candidates. Ensures training requirements for drivers and National Tank Services & Bulk Plus Logistics technicians are carried out per company expectations.
- Oversees and attends local OHS Committee meetings.
- Reviews Hours of Service data to ensure compliance.
- Coaches drivers where deficiencies are discovered.
- Escalates behavioral issues to management when coaching and remedial training is not successful.
- Works closely with and supports the terminal/service manager in all facets of the business.
- Maintains confidentiality of all information.
- Fosters a positive safety culture by encouraging the reporting of near misses, hazard identification and incidents.
- Learns new skills and continues to develop as a safety leader.
- Is proactive in finding risk and addressing it.
- Supports front-line and supervisor team members.
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- Skilled communicator with strong interpersonal skills with all levels of an organization.
- Strong coach and mentor who can provide support and guidance to people to encourage them to be their best, which includes being able to identify both positive behaviours and provide respectful constructive feedback on performance concerns.
- Identified by peers as a respected informal leader that people listen to.
- Identifies and resolves problems proactively and in a timely manner.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the Department of Transportation, and Federal/Provincial Motor Carrier regulations.
- Injury / collision prevention practices & techniques.
- Ability to interpret and explain regulations, rules, and policies/procedures to others.
- Leadership skills with ability to work well with team members and influence without authority.
- Ability to learn new skills and apply them.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Minimum of 3 yearsexperience in Transportation Safety and/or Training.
- Class 1 or CDL License will be prioritized
- Certified in all areas of training to be delivered.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of Department of Transportation, Federal/Provincial Motor Carrier regulations.
SAFETY IS OUR CORE VALUE
- We make Safety a part of every decision.
- We make Safety personal.
- We have the courage to intervene.
Trimac Transportation is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to employment equity. We value a diverse workforce and are committed to hiring practices that are fair and equitable.
We appreciate your interest and taking the time to apply, however only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Thank you!
Job Reference #: 161551