Regional Director of Safety
Are you a highly motivated self-starter who continually looks for new opportunities and initiatives to drive change across the organization? Are you looking for a creative, challenging job that contributes to your community's way of life in a stable industry? Are you highly collaborative and believe that the best results are achieved through strong relationships and partnerships? Trimac is a North American company with over 75 years of history that is geared to embrace a changing, technology-driven future and we're looking for candidates who want to join us on our journey!
Trimac's most fundamental value is safety. We operate in a safety sensitive industry and are relentless in our goal of ensuring everyone returns home safe every day and that we conduct ourselves safely doing no harm to the people and communities in which we operate.
This role reports to VP of Safety and interacts with the Director of Safety Services & Security, Regional Vice President and Area Managers in their safety program implementation and execution efforts. Activities include but are not limited to, monitoring terminal safety performance and providing guidance to Terminal/Service Managers and Safety Specialists as needed to address emerging trends and areas of concern; providing support and serving as a resource for Terminal Managers, Service Managers, Safety Supervisors and others in their area of operations; conducting, reviewing and documenting facility audits and assist in the correction of deficiencies; scheduling and present training programs as needed.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Thorough knowledge of federal /provincial safety regulations.
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to interpret and explain regulations, policies, and procedures to others
- Strong written and oral communication skills; excellent presentation skills; ability to influence people at all levels of the organization
- Ability to influence without authority
- Ability to lead and direct 15 or more direct reports
- Team player that can work with operations team members in a respectful, yet influential way
- Self-starter that can find risk and create solutions that work for all stakeholders.
A DAY IN THE LIFE:
- Responsible for regional safety and security policies and programs.
- Collaborate with Terminal and Service Managers to ensure consistent and thorough implementation of safety and security processes, policies, and programs to mitigate accident/injury exposures and risks.
- Monitors safety process execution for compliance with company and regulatory requirements/expectations, provide guidance and direction as necessary
- Communicates company programs, rules, and tools related to safety
- Oversees the proper implementation and execution of training programs across sites/facilities
- Participates in the hire of security staff or vendors; guides the development and updating of security policies and processes
- Ensures that all reporting and risk management tools, including UltiPro, Care, Intelex, and on-board monitoring technologies are being used appropriately
- Conducts evaluations and inspections to mitigate and/or minimize the risk of loss potential
- Makes recommendations to the Director of Safety, Regional Vice President, and VP of Safety to ensure compliance and prevent work-related injuries and motor vehicle accidents
- Conducts evaluations and inspections to ensure regulatory and policy compliance, mitigate risk and minimize the risk of losing potential; ensures that safety inspections are properly scheduled, carried out, monitored, acted upon, and documented
- Ensures contractor compliance with all applicable Federal/Provincial and company regulations; ensures that related record-keeping and reporting requirements are met and maintained; provides support in implementing the approved recommendations
- Ensures that the security program is in compliance with federal/provincial guidelines and that all employees are properly trained
- Maintains confidentiality of all information
- Promotes structure of safety integration
Travel Requirements within Canada and occasional travel to the US.
- Bachelor of Science in Occupational Health and Safety or related CDS, CSS, CSP, or specific transportation safety certification preferred.
- 5 or more years of transportation safety/operations experience desired.
- Cost control and financial/budget experience required.
- Management of supervisory or training-specific direct reports preferred.
TRIMAC SAFETY COMMITMENTS
- We make Safety a part of every decision
- We make Safety personal
- We have the courage to intervene
Trimac Transportation is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to employment equity. We value a diverse workforce and are committed to hiring practices that are fair and equitable.