Manager Data Architect
Are you a highly motivated self-starter who continually looks for new opportunities and initiatives to drive change across the organization? Are you looking for a creative, challenging job that contributes to your community's way of life in a stable industry? Are you highly collaborative and believe that the best results are achieved through strong relationships and partnerships? Trimac is a North American company with over 75 years of history that is geared to embrace a changing, technology-driven future and we're looking for candidates who want to join us on our journey!
We are seeking a creative and detail-oriented Manager Data Architect to modernize existing solutions and design the future of data at Trimac.
Reporting to the Vice President, Information Technology, and working closely with the leaders responsible for Technology, Strategic Transformation, Operations, Security, the Manager Data Architect is responsible for designing and delivering data platforms and integrations, both in the Cloud and on-premise, that will define Trimac as the leader in the future of Bulk Transportation.
The Manager Data Architect regularly interacts with executives, key Operations leaders and services vendors, and leads the design of data flows and solutions that impact our employee and customer experience.
This is an exceptional hands-on opportunity for an ambitious and energetic leader to leverage their technical skillset and passion for business to help us disrupt, reconfigure, and redefine our industry.
WHO YOU ARE
- Strong business acumen merged with a passion for the challenges and opportunities in data-driven transportation.
- Ability to translate big-picture strategic outcomes into specific IT actions by leveraging significant technical knowledge, project management and vendor management skills.
- Excellent communications skills: ability to relate to people at all levels of an organization and at all levels of technical competence.
- Situationally aware and the ability to dynamically shift between ideation and outcomes.
- Ability to challenge the status quo and see the art of the possible while remaining realistic and pragmatic regarding resources, time, and cost.
- Makes timely and sound decisions despite having limited information.
- Well organized, self-directed, and able to establish internal and external strategic relationships.
- Direct experience building data integrations and pipelines and ETL solutions.
- Deep knowledge of APIs (SOAP and REST) and API design best practices.
- In-depth knowledge of, and direct experience working with, AWS data services such as S3 architecture, tiered storage, and the full suite of AWS services related to data integrations, pipelines, provisioning and architecture.
- Mastery of Microsoft SQL Services (SSIS, SSAS, SSRS, SQL Database) and relational database design, build and management.
- Experience implementing data governance frameworks, data quality management, and data security practices.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical-thinking skills.
- Vendor/partner management, contract negotiation, and risk management expertise.
- Rapidly gain a deep understanding of Trimac's operations and the bulk transportation industry and reflect that understanding in stakeholder interactions and solution design.
- Create a multi-year data and cloud strategy, and related roadmap of initiatives.
- Define and implement data standards, principles, and guidelines for data modeling, database design, and data integration.
- Design, maintain, and optimize a data architecture framework by selecting appropriate data storage, integration, and processing technologies. Drive the definition of data entities, relationships, attributes, and hierarchies to ensure data integrity and consistency.
- Identify and design efficient, scalable data integration solutions to facilitate seamless near real time data flow between different systems and platforms. Develop strategies for data extraction, transformation, and loading, ensuring high data quality and reliability.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to the Data Team, and the IT broadly.
- Actively engage in PoCs, workshops, architecture reviews and other activities aligned with advancing Trimac's data and cloud strategies.
- Author Statements of Work and project plans for data, analytics and cloud initiatives.
- Establish and enforce data governance policies and procedures, and define data ownership, access controls, data retention policies, and data quality standards.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including executives, analysts, and Operations stakeholders, to understand data requirements and translate them into actionable deliverables.
- Anticipate and stay abreast of industry trends, emerging technologies, and best practices in data architecture and technologies. Evaluate and recommend new tools and technologies.
- Create and maintain comprehensive documentation. Ensure that documentation is up to date and accessible to relevant stakeholders.
- Create and maintain ERD models by ensuring they align with business requirements and technical implementation.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Data Science, or a directly related field.
- 5+ years of direct, hands-on data and cloud engineering experience.
- 3+ years of data architecture experience in a complex organization.
- Strong understanding of data architecture principles, methodologies, and best practices.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Power BI and Power BI Gateway, supported by certifications. Experience working with Power BI in both on-premises and cloud deployments.
- Deep knowledge of AWS architecture and cloud services, through hands-on experience and supported by certifications.
- Deep knowledge of the Microsoft SQL Suite, supported by certifications.
- Knowledge of the principles and frameworks of enterprise architecture is an asset.
- Experience modernizing legacy ETL pipelines is an asset.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiar with 24/7 industrial or maintenance operations in geographically diverse sectors such as mining, ports, utilities, telecommunications, agriculture, oil & gas, heavy machinery repair, or transportation.
We make Safety a part of every decision.
We make Safety personal.
We have the courage to intervene.
Trimac Transportation is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to employment equity. We value a diverse workforce and are committed to hiring practices that are fair and equitable.