Safety and Compliance Specialist-Mississauga, Ontario
Safety and Compliance Specialist
The Safety training and compliance specialist is accountable for day-to-day maintenance and administration of the organization’s various Health, Safety, and Security (HSS) programs. Stays in compliance with the federal and provincial HSS regulations and guidelines. Please note that there is a large travel component to this position and the ideal candidate will need to have a valid passport and be flexible with travel both within Canada and the US.
- Identify unsafe acts, conditions, and hazards, investigate root causes, identify corrective and preventative actions
- Monitor compliance of Health and Safety policies, procedures and guidelines, supports and mentors on safety standards, policies OHS/OHSA legislation and industry standards.
- Completes a weekly activity report with regards to safety initiatives, projects, and summary of observations.
- Ensure safety training is current and levels meet the Company’s needs and regulatory expectations
- Coordinates external safety training and conducts internal training.
- Conducts workplace inspections, leads hazard assessments and briefs the management team of areas for improvement
- Demonstrated experience in conducting safety audits and assessments of organizations and workplaces
- Verify that all applicable safety documents are being completed and files are maintained at branch level
- Coordinate and participate in Job Task Observation (JTO) campaigns to in compliance with policies and procedures; recommend corrective actions if required.
- Interacts daily with the branch operations team and employees
- Collaborates with the Operations teams, Safety Manager, Regional Directors
- Comprehensive working knowledge of OH&S/OSHA Policies, Regulations, and Industry Standards
- 5 years of industrial industry experience including working knowledge of confined space, working at height, hot work, mobile equipment, WHMIS, TDG, Respiratory fit testing
- Direct experience assessing training needs, creating training materials to fulfill those needs, and then delivering the training
- A certified auditor is an asset
- Exemplary communication skills, influential and assertive personality
- Writing skills and proven success in the development of policies and procedures
- ability to understand and analyze complex information and present it simply and accurately
Education and Experience
The minimum education or formal training for this position includes the following Provincial/Federal or other vocational or professional certification, trade license, apprenticeship or degree:
- Mandatory High School Diploma
- Preferred Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years managing a health and safety program
Must hold valid license or certification in the following:
- Fall arrest
- Respiratory fittest
- Train the Trainer in both TDG and WHMIS
- First Aid Responder
- A current passport may be required
- Must be able to travel
- Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such levels as determined by management
- Must be available and willing to work evenings, weekends and holidays when the needs arises and in order to meet business needs
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, climb, stairs or ladders. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee may be required to lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
- Extensive travel – must be prepared for both extreme heat and cold weather conditions. Can be exposed to dangerous and/or toxic substances and must take necessary precautions to protect eyes, nose, and skin from irritation and infection.